Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Cheesy Herb Breadsticks

One of my favorite comforts, is bread sticks.  Great with pasta night or just by themselves.

Ingredients:

  • Warm water - 2 cups
  • Dry active yeast - 1 Tablespoon
  • White Sugar (Granulated Sugar) - 2 Table Spoons
  • Olive oil - 1/4 cup
  • Garlic - 1 1/2 teaspoon
  • Italian Seasoning - 1 Tablespoon
  • Flour - 5 Cups
  • Salt - 1 teaspoon

egg wash

  • one egg Plus 1 T of Water -
  • 20-25 minutes at 375 degrees

Cheesy Herb Breadsticks
Cheesy Herb Breadsticks

Instructions:

This is basically a French bread recipe with herbs and garlic.  First, combine the Water, sugar, and yeast.  Let it stand for a few minutes.  While the water and yeast are standing. In a small bowl combine the oil, garlic, salt and Italian Seasoning.  You can use any herbs you wish.  I like basil, thyme, and oregano.  Mix the oil and herbs well and add to the water and yeast.

Next, gradually add the flour a cup at a time.  In my mixer, I mix two cups of flour on medium speed for 2 minutes then slowly add the remaining flour until it starts to come away from the edges.  I then mix on low for five minutes.

If doing it by hand, I will knead the dough for several minutes.  (I generally have about 1/2 to 1/4 cup of flour that I don'/t end up adding.

Once it is nice a kneaded I place the dough in a large oiled bowl. (just a quick spray of Pam) flip the dough so all sides are oil place a tea towel over the bowl and let it rise for about 40-60 minutes until doubled in size.

Once the dough has risen.  Place the dough on a clean counter with a small dusting of flour.  I gently flatten the dough and using a rolling pin, roll the dough flat to about 1/2 inch thick.

Then using a pizza cutter or knife cut the dough into bread stick like portions and place on a greased cookie sheet.  I then let the bread stick rise again for about thirty minutes

Before placing the bread stick in the oven, I coat the bread with egg wash and then add either a spice collection like Mrs. Dash or Salad Supreme or I add shredded cheese.  The egg wash does make for a firmer crust.  If you want a chewier crust, then use melted butter instead.  Be creative with your toppings. I have tried several different things.  (I usually experiment on a small pan or portion.....curry powder topped bread sticks went quickly to the trash, but hey now I know.)

0 التعليقات: