Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Do Everything French bread



This is one of the most versatile and easy bread recipes going.


 French bread
 French bread

Ingredients:

  • Warm water - 1 1/2 Cups
  • Instant yeast - 3/4 of Tables spoon ( 1 Tablespoon of active dry yeast)
  • White Sugar (Granulated Sugar) - 2 Tablespoons
  • Canola or Olive Oil - 2 Tablespoons
  • Salt - 1 teaspoon
  • Flour - 4 Cups
Instructions:
This is a really simple bread recipe.  If you are using dry yeast, you will want to activate it with the water and sugar.  Once the yeast is going just add the rest of the ingredients but 2 cups of the flour.  Mix the dough well.  I mix on medium speed with my mixer for about 2 minutes.  I then gradually add the rest of the flour until it pulls away from the sides then mix on low for about five minutes.  I have to set the timer because I always want to stop the mixer early.
Once the dough is done.  It should be elastic and slightly sticky I place it in a large greased bowl to rise.  Once it is in the bowl flip the bread over so it is oiled on all sides.  Let the bread rise for about 40 minutes.  I then take the dough and lay it out on a nice clean counter that has been lightly floured.  I then shape the bread into either round rolls, hoagie buns or loafs.  I try not to knead the bread or be overly aggressive with it after it has risen the first time.
I have found that for the best buns I use my cast iron cookie sheet.  I heat the cast iron sheet in the oven before I place the rolls on it.   I get a great rise, and the buns have a great crust on them.  I will sometimes put an egg wash on the bread and sprinkle with sesame seeds or dried onion or even asiago cheese.
Bake at 375 for about 20 -25 minutes.
If using a cast iron pan, I put the bread on a cooling rack soon after removing from the oven.  The cast iron will continue to cook the bread if you leave it for too long.
This makes the best sandwich rolls.  Great crust with a nice chewy middle.  It makes a good sandwich great.

0 التعليقات: