Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Caramel Apple Crumble Pie

This recipe has three parts; the crust, filling and crumb topping.  And it is all good.

Ingredients:


For the Pie Filling

  • apples, (I like Fuji and green apples mixed) - 6 cups thinly sliced and peeled. ( almost chopped)
  • White Sugar (Granulated Sugar) - 1/2 Cup
  • flour - 3 Tablespoons
  • cinnamon - 1 teaspoon
  • Salt - 1/8 teaspoon (pinch)

Crumb Topping

  • Brown Sugar - 1 Cup Packed
  • flour - 1/2 Cup
  • Quick Cooking Rolled Oats - 1/2 Cup
  • Butter - 1/2 Cup (one stick)
  • caramel - 1/4-1/2 cup
  • pecans - 1/2 cup (optional)

No Roll Crust

  • Flour - 1 1/2 C
  • Salt - 1 teaspoon
  • White Sugar (Granulated Sugar) - 2 teaspoons
  • Vegetable Oil - 1/2 Cup
  • Milk - 2 Table Spoons


Caramel Apple Crumble Pie
Caramel Apple Crumble Pie
Instructions:
OK, so lets start with the crust.  I wasn't having a lot of success making pie crust.  Who knew you needed to refrigerate it first.  ( well probably everyone but me.)  Thus enter the no-roll crust.  I make this in my big cast iron pie pan.  I told you all I liked cast iron.  Well, I mix all the dry ingredients in a separate bowl.  You can do it in the pie pan, but I get a better mix in a bigger mixing bowl.  After getting the dry ingredients good and mixed, you make a little well or bowl in the center of your dry ingredients and add your wet ingredients there.  Mix well until it all comes together and becomes a ball.  I then put the ball in my pie pan (lightly oiled) and press out flat, shaping it with your fingers.  Bake the crust for 4-6 minutes at 375 degrees

Now in a separate bowl mix add the sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt together.   Once well blended add the apples (I give my apples a little pulse in a food processor to get them more of a chopped large pieces of apple as opposed to slices, but this is a personal preference.) Toss and stir the apples into the sugar mixture until well coated.  Once coated place the apples in the pie pan.
With our apples were done we are ready for our crumb topping.  Stir together the brown sugar, oats, and flour.  Using a pastry knife, (or a fork if you don't have a pastry knife) cut in the butter until it looks like small crumbs like cottage cheese.  Sprinkle the crumb mixture over the apples covering the pie evenly.

To prevent the edges of the pie from burning cover the edges with aluminum foil
Bake at 375 for 25 minutes (I check it at 20 minutes to make sure it doesn't over cook)  You want the top to be golden brown.    Once you pull it out of the oven drizzle caramel over the top.  (it help to heat the caramel up a bit, so it pours easier) You can also sprinkle pecans at this time too. ( I take my chopped pecans and cook them with some caramel to make them caramel candied caramel pecans).

Let the pie cool and serve.  It is divine.  It is the best of pie and a cobbler in one dessert.

0 التعليقات: